Recently i have been re watching a childhood favorite of mine Yumerio Patissiere and was inspired to make Ichigo’s grandmothers strawberry tart. If you have not seen Yumerio Patissiere and love baking, then i highly recommend you check out this anime.
The strawberry tart is so easy to make! It’s made from a sweet shortcrust base, filled with a sweet custard and topped with whipped cream and strawberries. Although there is a lot of sweet components, this dessert is not to over powering and in fact is quite mellow.
The recipe i used to create this dish is as follows:
- 1 ready made sweet shortcrust tart base
- 1 egg
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup custard powder
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup thickened cream
- 1-2 punnets of strawberries
- Whipped cream
- Prepare your tart base according to box instructions. (or prepare your own base from scratch) once complete set aside to cool.
- To prepare the custard whisk together the whole egg, egg yolks, sugar and vanilla together in a medium pot.
- Stir in the custard powder.
- Gradually add milk and cream, stirring constantly.
- Once combined place the pot over a medium heat, whisking the mixture for 10 minutes or until the custard begins to boil and thicken
- Once thick continue to boil for 1 minute.
- Transfer to a heatproof bowl making sure to cover the surface with plastic wrap, pushing it down to touch the top of the custard to prevent it from forming a skin.
- Set the custard aside to cool refrigerating for 1 hour or until chilled.
- Wash and cut your strawberries cutting half of them in half and the other in 4ths. (Don’t forget to leave on strawberry whole for the top.)
- Once your custard has cooled, transfer 3 quarters of the custard into the tart base smoothing the top.
- Take the remaining custard and position it in the center of the tart forming a small mound.
- Apply whipped cream and strawberries according to design, topping with the whole strawberry.
Don’t forget to finish with the magical sweet spirit chant “Magical Macaron! Sweet Romance Card! Come on Out”
Happy Baking! xox